Amazing Spider-Man 3: No Roberto Orci

Sony’s next installment in their possibly over-eager plans for the Spider-Man franchise is The Amazing Spider-Man 3, set to be released June 10, 2016, but Roberto Orci will not be returning as screenwriter. He recently confirmed the news during an interview with IGN.

Roberto Orci

Roberto Orci

Orci was expected to co-write the script with writing partner Alex Kurtzman, but they decided to break up their writing duo on amicable terms earlier this year. Since Orci is working on Star Trek 3 (and possibly directing it–he says he won’t confirm until the film is officially greenlit) and will also be executive producer for the new Power Rangers film, it’s not surprising that he won’t be adding The Amazing Spider-Man 3 to his already full plate.

But possibly the most interesting thing revealed during Orci’s interview was the fact that Sony’s production schedule for their Spider-Man sequels and spinoffs is not as firm as we’ve been lead to believe. Orci said:

I don’t know what their plans are for that franchise. I don’t ever want to say never, but we have to figure out what their scheduling is in terms of when they want each movie. I’ve read probably as much as anyone else. There’s a love for the Sinister Six, the idea of Venom–there’s an idea of Spider-Man’s going to be one of these characters that’s part of our business. He’s such a popular character. Spider-Man’s not going to go away any time soon. When it all happens and how and all that has yet to be determined.

This is news to fans, as Sony has been making promises such as a new Spider-Man film every year. Is the franchise not as planned out as we thought? Do you think Orci leaving will help or hurt? Sound off in the comments!

Source